Advocacy and Assistance
The Community Visitor Scheme provides advocacy and assistance to clients, their carers and family members as they work to resolve issues relating to care and service provision.
The Scheme is for people living with disability or mental illness who are:
- receiving care in a mental health treatment centre or hospital
- attending a community mental health facility
- living in state-run disability accommodation
Clients, carers and family members can request a visit by Community Visitors.
- The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission is responsible for ensuring safety and quality of services delivered under the NDIS. Phone 1800 035 544.
- The Aged Rights Advocacy Service helps consumers of aged care services and their carers to address service-related issues or abuse of older people. Phone 8232 5377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of SA provides information about concerns with disability services. Phone 8234 5699 or 1800 088 325. It also provides support to individuals, families, carers and communities. Phone 8297 3500 or National Relay Service 1800 555 630.
- The Office of the Chief Psychiatrist safeguards the rights of individuals, seeks to improve service delivery and guides the administration of the Mental Health Act 2009. Phone 8226 1091.
- The Office of the Public Advocate protects the rights and interests of people with reduced mental capacity and their carers. Phone 8342 8200 or 1800 066 969.
- The SA Mental Health Commission leads the development of South Australia’s new Mental Health Strategic Plan. The Commission is committed to strengthening the mental health and wellbeing of South Australians. Phone 1300 293 220.
If, after all reasonable steps have been taken, you are still not satisfied with the outcome, you can contact the Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner. Phone 8226 8666 or 1800 232 007.
If your complaint relates to discrimination, contact the Equal Opportunity Commission on 8207 1977.
State Ministers responsible for Disability and Mental Health: